Greetings! This year for my birthday, I made my favorite olive oil cake. I absolutely love this olive oil cake recipe, as it is sweet,but not too sweet, perfectly dense and moist. We usually eat it for breakfast with a dollop of sour cream and a nice strong espresso. You can certainly devour it with some champagne and fruit or any other way you prefer. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! Bon appétit!
Olive Oil Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar (I used raw turbinado sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large fresh eggs
- Zest of a whole fresh orange
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier ( You can also substitute Benedictine or Rum)
1. Heat the oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform cake pan that is at least 2 inches deep (If your cake pan is less than 2 inches deep, divide between 2 pans and start checking for doneness at 30 minutes).
2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, milk, eggs, orange zest and juice, and Grand Marnier. Add the dry ingredients; whisk until just combined.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
4. Optional: Sprinkle 2 tbsp of fresh orange juice and 1 tbsp of sugar uniformly over the cake.
5. Run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely, 2 hours.
6. Serve warm or cold with some sour cream or crème fraiche, fresh fruit, roasted fruit, fruit compote or jam.